Botox is perhaps one of the best-known forms of neurotoxin. Neurotoxins, also referred to as neuromuscular toxins, are primarily also used to smooth skin and alleviate wrinkles, but they are usually used to tackle much finer lines than dermal fillers do. They work by blocking nerve signals in order to stop muscles from moving. This may sound a little scary, but when used in very small quantities neurotoxins can successfully relax the muscles that are the cause of facial lines.
Botox is a drug made from a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. Doctors use it in small doses to treat health problems and cosmetic issues including for the temporary smoothing of facial wrinkles and improving your appearance.
Your Botox appointment will likely be quick and easy. Typically, the entire treatment is completed in 3 minutes or less. Ericka will review what was discussed at your consultation appointment including how much Botox you are getting and in which areas. Ericka will carefully identify, sterilize and mark the areas to be treated. If you are concerned about discomfort Ericka will use ice to numb the targeted area (s). Ericka will be using a narrow micro-needle to inject Botox directly into the facial muscles. The number of injections needed will vary based on the clients needs and areas being treated. Ice and pressure will be applied to the treated areas to discourage swelling.
Botox will gradually take effect over 7-10 days with optimal results at 2 weeks. We may request to schedule a follow up 2 weeks after your treatment. The most common side effect is headaches with Botox injections. You may use Tylenol to relieve this. If you are a chronic headache sufferer and have prescription headache medication , you may take it as prescribed by your doctor.
For comfort and safety we advise to follow the following:
● Remain upright for 4 hours after injection (may lie in a reclined position, just do not lay flat)
● Refrain from strenuous exercise that increases your heart rate greatly.
● Do not massage or manipulate injected areas for 24 hours after injections.
● Refrain from using ibuprofen, aspirin, fish oil supplements,or Vitamin E for 24 hours following injection.
● If bruising appears, apply ice to the area for 15 minutes.
● Do not wear a headband or hat where the band goes across your forehead if you have had injections between the brows or in the forehead.
● Exaggerate facial expressions in injected areas for 4 hours after injection.